Faulty Electrics

or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

Faulty Electrics

or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

If you have reported a problem with faulty electrics to the landlord of your rented property, then you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim if the problem has not been repaired, so get in touch with Legal HD – the housing disrepair claim specialists – and we can start your claim today.

Why you should make a housing disrepair claim with Legal HD

  • We have specialist expertise in successfully processing housing disrepair claims
  • We have friendly and sympathetic staff who understand the stress and discomfort of your ordeal
  • We can help you secure and maintain the evidence you need to make a successful claim
  • We work on a no-win-no-fee basis, meaning we will only take your claim on if we think there is a good chance of winning, and if you lose, you don’t owe us any fee for our services.

Am I eligible to make a housing disrepair claim?

You can’t make a housing disrepair claim if you have caused the damage or disrepair yourself through your own negligence or behaviour. In this case your landlord is not responsible for repairing the damage, however, they can get the repair fixed, but you will be liable to pay for it.

If ALL these factors apply, you WILL be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim:

  • You are renting the property through either a housing association, social housing or a local authority/council. You are not eligible to claim if you are renting through a private landlord.
  • You reported the problem directly to your landlord to make sure they received the information
  • You have given the landlord a reasonable period of time to carry out the repair, and this has not been done.

If ALL these apply to you then you can make a claim today.

What kind of faulty electrics can I claim for?

Your landlord has a basic duty to provide a safe and comfortable home and electrics play an important role in that. Faulty electrics can cause major disruption to your living conditions, but they can also be extremely dangerous. Your electrics should be safely installed before you move into the property and should be periodically tested and inspected throughout your tenancy. Problems can occur with electrics through general use, but they can also become damaged. However, in any circumstances you should not be expected to carry out an electrical repair yourself, it should always be done by a trained and qualified electrical engineer.

Common problems with household electrics include:

  • Faulty or damaged sockets
  • Exposed or damaged wiring
  • Faulty appliances
  • Lights not working
  • Power cuts

Some of these issues are a mild inconvenience, but could still be very dangerous, while other issues are an emergency situation, such as a full power cut. You should always ensure the landlord is fully aware of the nature of your electrical problem when you report it. Certainly you should not expect to be without full power for more than a couple of hours.

How do problems with faulty electrics affect a tenant?

Problems with faulty electrics can affect a tenant by:

  • Disrupting your everyday routine
  • Food going off in a fridge or freezer without power
  • Not being able to prepare food or hot drinks
  • Exposure to live wires and other conductors
  • Loss of lights for an extended period
  • Total loss of power causing huge inconvenience and discomfort.

Contact Legal HD to make your housing disrepair claim if you have reported an electrical problem to your landlord and it has not been dealt with. You can contact our dedicated and helpful staff at Legal HD, we can quickly establish the facts and decide whether you have strong grounds for a successful housing disrepair claim. We will then help you progress this claim through the formal system on a no-win-no-fee basis.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to still be living in the property to make a housing disrepair claim?

No. If you reported the problem to the landlord when you lived in the property and satisfy all the other eligibility criteria. However, there is a time limit of six years from when you first reported the problem to the landlord, so it is in your interest to start a claim as soon as possible.

What can I claim compensation for?

If you are making a housing disrepair claim and are eligible, you can claim for:

  • Damage to your property caused by the disrepair
  • Health issues caused by the disrepair
  • Costs you have incurred dealing with the disrepair
  • Compensation for your general discomfort and inconvenience.

How much will it cost me to make a housing disrepair claim?

Nothing. We work on a no-win-no-fee basis, so if we lose the case there is no fee, and if we win the case we take our fee out of your compensation reward. This fee will be explained to you before the claims process begins and will be a set figure that doesn’t change.

Andrew Dow - Legal HD Co-Founder
Peter Hartley - Legal HD Co-Founder

Contact Legal HD

Do you believe you have a case to make a housing disrepair claim? If so, contact Legal HD today via the form below or call us on 0161 974 7350 today.

Make an enquiry

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What problems can be included in a housing disrepair claim?

  • Damaged floors, doors, walls, windows and stairs
  • Damaged fittings – bathroom, toilet, kitchen
  • Infestations – vermin or insects

  • Structural issues – evidence of walls, plaster or roof damage

  • Faulty heating, boilers and radiators

  • Electrical issues – faulty/damaged sockets and exposed/damaged wiring

Call Legal HD today on 0161 974 7350 or

How It Works

Start Your Claim

Start Your Claim

Start by telling us about your case. You can do this online, by email or by telephone.

Your Case Reviewed

Your Case Reviewed

Our housing disrepair experts will review your case and will outline the next steps in the claims process.

Claim Compensation

Claim Compensation

If we think you have a case, we’ll work with you every step of the way to claiming the compensation you deserve.

Specialist housing disrepair call handlers

Speak to a housing disrepair specialist

We offer No Win No Fee and have a high success rate with a wide range of housing disrepair claims.