Start a housing disrepair claim

Can I Claim?

If ALL of these apply, you:

  • are renting your accommodation from a housing association, through social housing or through a local authority
  • have reported a problem with the condition of the property directly to the landlord
  • have given the landlord a reasonable time period to resolve the issue
  • are still living with the problem unresolved

Then you are eligible to make a housing disrepair claim. If you contact our claims team we can go through all these details with you to confirm your eligibility.

Start Your Claim

What Can I Claim For?

Common problems/repairs that can be claimed for:

  • Damp problems
  • Mould and damaged plasterwork
  • Rotting or damaged windows
  • Water leaks or signs of water leaks
  • Faulty heating, boilers and radiators
  • Electrical issues
  • Damaged floors, doors, walls, windows, stairs and fittings
  • Infestations – vermin or insects
  • Structural issues – evidence of walls, plaster or roof damage
  • External damage – brickwork, paths, fences and gates
  • Housing Disrepair Claim Specialists

  • No Win No Fee Available

  • Free Callback Service

  • Helping Clients Across England & Wales

How It Works

Start Your Claim

Start Your Claim

Start by telling us about your case. You can do this online, by email or by telephone.

Your Case Reviewed

Your Case Reviewed

Our housing disrepair experts will review your case and will outline the next steps in the claims process.

Claim Compensation

Claim Compensation

If we think you have a case, we’ll work with you every step of the way to claiming the compensation you deserve.

Specialist housing disrepair call handlers

Speak to a housing disrepair specialist

We offer No Win No Fee and have a high success rate with a wide range of housing disrepair claims.