Mould Problems

or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

Mould Problems

or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

Do you have a mould problem in your rented property that has caused damage or health problems? If so, contact Legal HD today and you may be able to seek housing disrepair compensation.

Why is mould a problem for tenants?

Mould and damp typically appears in a property because of a structural problem. This could be a problem with walls, a damp proof course, guttering, fascias and soffits, or just through poor insulation or ventilation. These can form different types of mould and damp, but if left they can all grow worse to cause damage to the property and health problems for the tenant. Damage to the property can be very unpleasant to live with, can cause safety issues and can damage your own personal belongings. Even a minor issue of damp or mould can also lead to health issues.

There are different types of damp, such as condensation, penetrating damp, rising damp and traumatic damp, and these all manifest themselves in different ways. But you should always report an issue of mould or damp to the landlord because they will all be the result of a problem the landlord needs to deal with, ie. something is broken, damaged or leaking.

What should I do if there is mould in my rented property?

If you have reported the problem, given the landlord a reasonable period of time to resolve the issue, but they haven’t done anything, you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim if:

  • You are renting through a housing association, social housing or local authority
  • The damp or mould is causing a health issue for one or more of the tenants
  • The damp or mould has grown worse and is now damaging the property

How can Legal HD help me?

If you start a housing disrepair claim today then Legal HD will review the case based on the information you have provided. We will speak to you to establish further facts and to find out what evidence you have been able to obtain, and we will then explain how successful we think your claim will be. On this basis we will advise on the best way forward.

Our team of housing disrepair solicitors are experts in their field, and if you contact Legal HD today you will have access to the best possible legal advice for the mould issue you face with your rented accommodation.

If you contact Legal HD we can help you:

  • On a no-win-no-fee basis, meaning there is no financial risk for you
  • With a free call-back service – just sit back and wait for us to contact you
  • With a high success rate – as experts in our field we know exactly how to proceed in each case and so we are in the perfect position to give you the best possible advice

Contact Legal HD today with your mould problem and we will work with you to secure suitable housing disrepair compensation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I always claim housing disrepair compensation for cases of mould in rented property?

Not always, no. If the mould or damp problem is only minor and there is no damage or disrepair, it just looks unsightly, then you cannot claim housing disrepair compensation. However, you may be able to if your health is affected. Ultimately, a landlord needs to provide rental accommodation that is fit to live in, but this does involve some grey areas, so in all cases you should contact Legal HD for clarification of your legal standing.

How much compensation will I receive?

There is no set figure for housing disrepair compensation and this is usually calculated based on the following criteria: how much rent you pay, how long you have lived at the property, when the problem was first reported to the landlord, how badly it has deteriorated since you first reported it and how badly the mould problem has affected you.

How much will making a housing disrepair claim cost me?

There should be no cost for you making a housing disrepair claim through Legal HD. Our no-win-no-fee policy means we will only proceed with your case if we are confident that it will win, so if the case does win, then we will extract our fee from your compensation award, and this figure will be made clear to you from the outset. If the case loses, then we will not make a charge for our services, so there is no risk to you in making a claim with Legal HD.

Contact Legal HD to discuss your mould problem in a rented property today.

Andrew Dow - Legal HD Co-Founder
Peter Hartley - Legal HD Co-Founder

Contact Legal HD

Do you believe you have a case to make a housing disrepair claim? If so, contact Legal HD today via the form below or call us on 0161 974 7350 today.

Make an enquiry

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What problems can be included in a housing disrepair claim?

  • Damaged floors, doors, walls, windows and stairs
  • Damaged fittings – bathroom, toilet, kitchen
  • Infestations – vermin or insects

  • Structural issues – evidence of walls, plaster or roof damage

  • Faulty heating, boilers and radiators

  • Electrical issues – faulty/damaged sockets and exposed/damaged wiring

Call Legal HD today on 0161 974 7350 or

How It Works

Start Your Claim

Start Your Claim

Start by telling us about your case. You can do this online, by email or by telephone.

Your Case Reviewed

Your Case Reviewed

Our housing disrepair experts will review your case and will outline the next steps in the claims process.

Claim Compensation

Claim Compensation

If we think you have a case, we’ll work with you every step of the way to claiming the compensation you deserve.

Specialist housing disrepair call handlers

Speak to a housing disrepair specialist

We offer No Win No Fee and have a high success rate with a wide range of housing disrepair claims.