or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350


or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

Have you reported an infestation at your rented property to your landlord and they have not responded? You can start a housing disrepair claim today by contacting Legal HD, the housing disrepair claim specialists.

How can an infestation affect a tenant?

Your landlord has a basic duty to provide a safe and comfortable home. Many types of disrepair issue can occur during a tenancy, all of which will cause a degree of discomfort, however, perhaps the most unpleasant and distressing example is an infestation.

Experiencing an infestation in your home can be upsetting and uncomfortable, particularly for any small children living in the property. An infestation can lead to your belongings and property being damaged and can also lead to serious health issues if the exposure is prolonged. If this has happened to you and a reported issue has not been resolved, you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim.

What kind of infestations can happen in a rented property?

There are three common types of infestation in residential properties; insects, vermin and wasps. It is common to experience occasional spiders or a fly in residential homes, but an excessive outbreak of insects, vermin or wasps is not something you should be expected to live with, and it suggests a much bigger problem. Outbreaks of infestations such as these can be the result of damp, damaged walls or pipework, damage to drains or waste systems or a wasp nest in a roof void or wall cavity.

It is in the landlord’s best interests to deal with infestations as soon as possible, not only because they have a responsibility for your health and safety, but because an infestation can cause serious structural damage to a property if left. So if an infestation in your rented property has not been dealt with in a sufficiently timely manner, you may be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim today.

Am I eligible to make a housing disrepair claim?

You are eligible to make a housing disrepair claim if ALL of the following apply to you:

  • You are not responsible for causing the damage through your own negligence or behaviour
  • You have reported the problem directly to the landlord
  • You have given the landlord a reasonable period of time to respond to the issue
  • You are renting your property through a housing association, social housing or local authority and NOT through a private landlord.

If ALL of these factors apply to you then you can start a claim today.

Why choose Legal HD for your housing disrepair claim?

  • We are the housing disrepair claim specialists and have dedicated solicitors with expertise in this area of the law
  • We understand the stress and anxiety that a housing disrepair can cause to you and your family
  • We work on a no-win-no-fee basis
  • We have friendly and available staff who are fully trained and accredited and who are dedicated to successfully processing your claim.

Contact our team of specialist housing disrepair solicitors today and we can help you to make a housing disrepair claim. We will start by establishing the basic facts of your situation and then we can talk to you about gathering evidence to demonstrate that the issue has been reported and is causing you discomfort, costs, health risks and distress. At this point we should have a good idea whether you have strong grounds to make a housing disrepair claim, and we will then advise you how the process will work.

You should never be expected to live with an infestation in your rented property for any length of time, and a landlord should respond to your complaint in a timely manner. If this doesn’t happen then you have a right to seek housing disrepair compensation, so get in touch with our team at Legal HD today.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the common complaints I can make a housing disrepair claim for?

The most common disrepair complaints in rented properties include:

  • Mould and damaged or cracked plasterwork
  • Rotting/damaged windows
  • Internal and external water leaks from damaged roofs, ceilings, pipes and gutters
  • External structural damage, including brickwork, paths, fences and gates
  • Damaged floors, doors, walls, windows and stairs
  • Damaged internal fittings, such as bathrooms, toilets or kitchens
  • Infestations, including vermin, insects or wasps
  • Faulty heating, boilers and radiators
  • Electrical issues, such as faulty/damaged sockets and exposed/damaged wiring.

What compensation figure will I receive?

There is no standard compensation figure. Your compensation award will be calculated based on the circumstances of your individual case. This will include how long you have had to live with the problem, how badly it has affected you, how much the problem has deteriorated since you first reported it and how much rent you pay for your rented property.

What can be included in a housing disrepair claim?

You can be compensated for the following:

  • Any costs you have paid out yourself in repairing or living with the disrepair
  • Any damage to your property directly caused by the disrepair
  • Any health issues suffered directly caused by the disrepair
  • Compensation for the inconvenience and discomfort of living with the disrepair.
Andrew Dow - Legal HD Co-Founder
Peter Hartley - Legal HD Co-Founder

Contact Legal HD

Do you believe you have a case to make a housing disrepair claim? If so, contact Legal HD today via the form below or call us on 0161 974 7350 today.

Make an enquiry

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What problems can be included in a housing disrepair claim?

  • Damaged floors, doors, walls, windows and stairs
  • Damaged fittings – bathroom, toilet, kitchen
  • Infestations – vermin or insects

  • Structural issues – evidence of walls, plaster or roof damage

  • Faulty heating, boilers and radiators

  • Electrical issues – faulty/damaged sockets and exposed/damaged wiring

Call Legal HD today on 0161 974 7350 or

How It Works

Start Your Claim

Start Your Claim

Start by telling us about your case. You can do this online, by email or by telephone.

Your Case Reviewed

Your Case Reviewed

Our housing disrepair experts will review your case and will outline the next steps in the claims process.

Claim Compensation

Claim Compensation

If we think you have a case, we’ll work with you every step of the way to claiming the compensation you deserve.

Specialist housing disrepair call handlers

Speak to a housing disrepair specialist

We offer No Win No Fee and have a high success rate with a wide range of housing disrepair claims.