Housing Disrepair Claims London

or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

Housing Disrepair Claims London

or call Legal HD on 0161 974 7350

If you have reported a problem to your landlord and it has not been resolved, you could make a housing disrepair claim

Contact our housing disrepair claim experts about your problem today

You could be eligible to make a housing disrepair claim if you:

  • Rent a property through a housing association, social housing or local authority
  • Have reported a problem to your landlord
  • The problem has not been repaired after a reasonable length of time
  • You are still living with the unresolved problem

What can I claim for?

Your landlord is responsible for providing safe and secure accommodation for you and your family. Common problems that arise and which are the landlord’s responsibility include:

  • Damp problems
  • Mould problems
  • External damage
  • Water leaks
  • Structural issues
  • Faulty heating
  • Faulty electrics
  • Infestations

If you have experienced and reported one or more of these problems, you can start a claim today.

What does the claims process involve?

  • Start a claim online, by email or by phone
  • Keep evidence of the problem, such as photos, dates etc
  • We will review the case and establish the facts with you
  • We will outline the steps forward if we think you have grounds for a successful case
  • Continue to take evidence to show how the problem is deteriorating, including its effect on your belongings and your health
  • We will proceed with your claim and work to secure the compensation you deserve.

What kind of compensation can I expect to receive?

First and foremost we will ensure that the repair gets carried out. This could be by the landlord or by yourself with costs covered. We will also ensure that you are compensated for any damage to your personal belongings, financial costs incurred and damage to your health, if these can be directly attributed to the unresolved problem. We will also secure compensation for the inconvenience of you living with the unresolved problem, so contact our claims experts today.

Housing disrepair claims in London

England’s capital city has a diverse range of housing, and of course London has undergone widespread regeneration over the years. Central London has densely populated areas such as Ealing, Barking and Brixton, while Greater London areas such as Enfield, Romford and Dartford offer a vast range of properties from traditional Victorian houses to modern, new-build apartments and estates.

A thriving metropolis like London has a very strong rental sector and hence many people find themselves eligible to make a housing disrepair claim through their rental arrangements, so if your landlord has not responded to the report of a repair issue, and you have given them sufficient time to carry out the repair, you could make a successful claim if you contact our London housing disrepair claim experts.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do when I make claim?

Make sure you have reported the problem directly to your landlord and given them a reasonable amount of time to respond. You should take photos of the problem and record dates of when you have contacted the landlord. Also keep taking evidence to show how the problem is deteriorating and its effect on your personal belongings and your health. This will all help to add strength to your case.

Do I have to pay to make a housing disrepair claim?

No. If you make a claim with Legal HD we make no upfront charges and we will proceed with the claim on a no-win-no-fee basis. This means that if the case is won then we deduct our fee from your compensation award, and we will specify this cost at the beginning of discussions. If the case is lost then we make no charge. There is no risk to you in making a claim with Legal HD.

Can I make a claim if I have caused damage to the property?

No. The landlord is not liable for damage or repairs caused by your negligence or unreasonable behaviour. All this should be stated in your tenancy agreement. The landlord may choose to carry out the repair, but they would most likely charge you for the costs. They could also insist that you carried out the repair.

How long is a ‘reasonable’ amount of time to wait for the landlord to carry out the repair?

You have a maximum of six years to make a claim, from the date you first reported it. By this time you could still be living in the property or more likely you will have left. The longer you leave making a claim, the more important it is that you have gathered strong evidence right from the beginning. You also have a maximum of three years to make a personal injury claim, if this was caused by the problem and that can be proven. If you are still living in the property, a ‘reasonable’ time period depends on the nature of the problem, if it is costly, complex or structural it may take the landlord some time to arrange costs and the work itself. Legal HD can help you decide on what is ‘reasonable’ if you talk to us today.

Andrew Dow - Legal HD Co-Founder
Peter Hartley - Legal HD Co-Founder

Start Your Claim

Do you believe you have a case to make a housing disrepair claim? If so, contact Legal HD today via the form below or call us on 0161 974 7350 today.

Specialist housing disrepair call handlers

Speak to a housing disrepair specialist

We offer No Win No Fee and have a high success rate with a wide range of housing disrepair claims.